Club News November 2015
The growing season has wound down and we are all making big plans for 2016. Below please find a number of news items in regard to the AVGVG Club activities
· Below you will find an interesting article from Al Eaton giving you some history of his World Record Long Gourd. Our congratulations to Al for his great win and appreciation for his ongoing efforts promoting long gourd growing. As we all know Al will always be a Annapolis Valley boy at heart.
· You will note on BigPumpkins, Facebook, and our web site that we have started our seed sale fundraising with an exceptional LG seed sale. This has been very well received and a big thank you to all involved in making this happen. Stay tuned as we will be having the “Best of AVGVG” sale and a seed auction in December.
· We want to welcome two new members that signed up in October – Stephen Atkinson of Clarks Harbour and Quinn d’Entremont of Glenwood.
· Glad Gardens Weigh Off – After a very successful weigh off again this year there are a couple of housekeeping items left. 1) Thank You letters have been sent out to all of the sponsors. 2) If you have AVGVG ribbons (undated, not GPC) that are just collecting dust and you do not want them any more we are all for recycling them. If you bring them to a meeting we will take them back and give you the chance to win it all over again. 3)Pictures of our event have been uploaded to our web site and are on our FaceBook page. Our You Tube video will be created over the winter and we will let you know when it’s available.
· It’s that time of the year again when we pick our “Seed of the Year” for 2016. The process is detailed below and nominations will open on the first of December. Please read the process carefully to avoid any confusion.
· Our 2016 Seed packs will go out at the end of February. The pack will only be a good as the seeds donated by our members so we encourage everyone to contribute. We would like to have 60 individual labeled packages of any fruit or vegetable however if you cannot contribute that many we will take what you can spare and divvy them out accordingly. If you have packs ready they can be taken to the next meeting or you can make other arrangements by e-mailing either Brian Kenneally firstname.lastname@example.org , Gerard Ansems email@example.com , or Paul Ferguson firstname.lastname@example.org
· 2016 Membership Renewal: In order to save a little money this year we will be e-mailing your membership renewal letter and form. If you have already paid or joined the club past September of 2015 it will be noted on your renewal and you just have a club letter to read. We have held the line on membership fees at 15.00 in the currency of your country and will have a couple of ways to pay . We will also accept your renewal at the upcoming Christmas Social next week.
· Christmas Social: Our Christmas Social will be held on December 7th at 7:00pm in the Windermere Hall. Hot and cold drinks will be provided and if the members could bring some deserts or other food to share it would be appreciated. We have a few awards to be presented and lots of tall tales to share on the year that was and the season that is coming. We will also have a short business meeting as we have a couple of club items to discuss.
For those members you cannot join us at our Christmas Social we wish you a very
Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2016.
The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic,
always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing
something better than they have ever done before.
– Vita Sackville-West, 1892 – 1962