As the competition season winds down for another year, we can reflect on many growers having new personal bests, records broken, and new growers having their first successful season. As a club we have seen many pumpkins over 1000 lbs adding new members to our Half Ton Club and some really large vegetables such as Ron’s 148.25 Long Gourd, Fred’s 6.15 lb Tomato, Frank’s 141 pound Green Marrow and Gerard’s 1415 lb pumpkin – just to name a few. (what about Paul’s Turnip ???) With this in mind, we look forward to an even better 2016 as our club grows and our members continue to try new fruits and vegetables and reach new lengths and weights. As we wind down the growing season here are a few things to keep in mind:
- We want to give a warm welcome to 4 new members of our club: Del Lowe of Halifax, Catherine Baillon of France, Stephen Atkinson of Newellton, Nova Scotia, and Quinn D’Entremont of Argyle, Nova Scotia. We hope you will enjoy your experience and support of the Annapolis Valley Giant Vegetable Growers.
- Brian Kenneally will soon be starting our Seed Sale and Auction. He may be contacting anyone he wants to get seeds from for the sale. As this is our only fundraiser we encourage everyone to participate either by providing seeds or buying seeds if you see something you would like to grow.
- Our 2016 seed pack will need seeds so if you have something you would like to include please have them done up in packs (60 Required) and labeled so that we can distribute them to all members next February/ March. We will send out and e-mail in early 2016 as to how and when you can send them along for inclusion.
- Please mark your calendars now for Monday, December 7th at the Windermere Hall for our Christmas Social. We will send out further details in November
- The Pumpkin Regatta is this weekend in Windsor at Lake Pesaquid. The parade gets underway @ noon with the pumpkin boat races starting at 2:00. Many of our growers pumpkins will end up in the water at this event. For Complete details visit www.pumpkinregatta.com
The AVGVG Executive
Paul, Gerard, Kim, and Judy